ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION
Nevada Business Connections is the state’s only private-sector-led economic development initiative. NBC’s mission is to promote the Capital Region and northern Nevada, to bring good companies and jobs to the region, and to support and grow the diverse businesses that have made their home here.
We are here to answer your questions about relocating or expanding your business to northern Nevada. From quality of life issues to your business priorities, you can connect with northern Nevada’s most involved and successful business people. Call us at 775-771-5747 or send a message to Kris Holt ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) and we’ll address your request by the next business day.
- NBC is private business supported by private business, without taxpayer money.
- NBC hosts monthly networking breakfast meetings.
- NBC has satellite offices in Carson City and Reno.
- NBC publishes the monthly newsletter, NBC Progress.
- NBC conducts bimonthly recruitment missions to the western United States.
- NBC will put you into direct touch with other manufacturers who can give you the “straight skinny.”
- NBC will help you establish solid relationships government, Federal, state, county and city.
- NBC Executive Director, Kris Holt, has been recruiting companies and helping local businesses expand in northern Nevada for over 20 years.
- NBC is here to answer your questions about relocating or expanding your business to northern Nevada.
From quality of life issues to your business priorities, you can connect with northern Nevada’s most involved and successful business people, NBC members…
In July 2008, a dozen business leaders from throughout northern Nevada came together to launch Nevada Business Connections.
NBC brings together a committed, engaged advisory board to develop businesses and create jobs. Executive Director, Kris Holt is the most successful business recruiter in the history of northern Nevada.
Our approach to economic development is based on two main components:
- Conducts bi-monthly business recruitment missions throughout the western United States.
- The first point of contact for businesses considering relocating or expanding their operations is NBC.
- Provides companies the needed resources to evaluate, analyze and recommend operations in Nevada – at no cost to them.
- Businesses can save hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars by utilizing NBC’s comprehensive and confidential services.
- Unparalleled connections with the manufacturing, warehouse, logistics, trucking, construction, financial, and real estate industries.
- A clear understanding of costs and regulations associated with entrepreneurship.
- “We are not the experts, but we know who they are”.
- Over 200+ members to help.
- Publishes monthly NBC Progress newsletter (email).
- Hosts monthly business breakfast meetings in Carson City and Reno.
- Provides local business development opportunities.
- Business leads, referrals and client contact.
- New and expanding companies lists.
- Out of state business recruitment trips.
- Investor / capital resources lists.
- Industrial property maps.
- Manufacturers and Industrial suppliers directories.
- Membership directory.
- Monthly newspaper column and TV program.
- Affiliations with NMA, NMTA, and CCIM.
- Affiliations with UNR / WNC / NSBDC.
- Website participation.
- Private entrepreneur
- Accessible, flexible and accountable
- Experience, knowledge, the resources and enthusiasm to make projects happen
- Outstanding leadership
- Excellent communication network
- Focused on western United States opportunities
DOING BUSINESS HERE
Nevada is a place of cosmopolitan cities and small-town comforts; Nevada is more than a year-round destination for vacationers, more than a place where residents enjoy a special quality of life. Nevada is also a state of enterprise. It is a place where financial acumen and entrepreneurial vitality are joined in the activity of building businesses populated with working Nevadans who are skilled, trainable, educated and eager to achieve.
Nevada is a state where business prospers.
Turn on your sound and see for yourself just why…
Some of the advantages are:
- Inexpensive costs of doing business compared to other western states. Real estate taxes, property, labor, worker’s comp insurance, are lower here.
- One of America’s last frontiers.
- No corporate, personal, franchise or capital gains taxes.
- Sensible regulations.
- The Capital Region of northern Nevada is the manufacturing center of the state.
- Proximity, accessibility to international and national markets.
- Accessible to government decision makers.
- Northern Nevada possesses the key components to a positive business climate:
Over 1,600 manufacturing firms make their product in northern Nevada. This designates the Capital Region as the densest concentration of manufacturing in the entire state of Nevada and the trans-Sierra zone, “the true manufacturing center of the state.” Per capita, Carson, Douglas, Lyon, Storey and Washoe counties have a manufacturing employment base of 10%. And, manufacturers love to be around other manufacturers. Their key reasons are simple; employee development, common allegiance, suppliers, support services and technological advancement.
Manufacturers have found northern Nevada an accommodating place to grow. From machine shops to material handling, from injection molding to logistics, from aerospace fasteners to aluminum castings, as well as all the auxiliary and support businesses you will ever need.
Your information and products will be within reach of any customer, world-wide. Airports, rail, and highway systems link to California on the west, Washington and Oregon on the north, Utah and Colorado on the east, and Las Vegas and Los Angeles on the south. The Capital Region boasts many hi-tech offerings including broadband, cutting-edge drone research, and state-of-the-art data centers.
The 18 core manufacturing sectors or clusters in northern Nevada include auto parts, aerospace, composites/plastics, computer parts, construction materials, computers, electronics, foundries, food/supplements processing, chemicals, mechanical/medical instrumentation, pharmaceuticals, transportation equipment, machine shops, metal fabrication, sporting goods, warehouse/distribution, and back office industries.
Surprisingly, we have 80 companies who are metal/machining operations, 30 firms in construction materials and 25 businesses in electronics. Overall, manufacturers employ 4,000 people in northern Nevada. We want these businesses to interact with each other – do business locally.
NBC wants to “Diversify our Diversification.” We would much rather have ten – 10 employee operations in our economy than one – 100 employee company. Because our philosophy is, if one out of ten – 10 employee companies fail, it is not a major economic impact to the community. Chances are, one out of the ten – 10 employee businesses will expand. One – 100 employee operation is a greater risk.
Kris Holt, Executive Director and Founder, Nevada Business Connections
Phone: 775-771-5747 / Email: email@example.com
As executive director of Nevada Business Connections (NBC), northern Nevada’s only private business development and expansion organization, Kris Holt engages in economic development and diversification activities in Carson, Douglas, Lyon, Storey, and Washoe counties. With a proven track record in business recruitment and economic development, a newspaper columnist and guest speaker, Holt frequently conducts business recruitment missions throughout the western United States. NBC has over 200 dues paying members.
Photos from 2010. Get well soon, Kris!
Kris formerly headed the Northern Nevada Development Authority (NNDA), a public-private economic development organization with over 300 members. During the 14 years of his leadership, NNDA assisted with the recruitment of over 214 new business relocations and 96 existing company expansions. Kris was instrumental in creating approximately 5,000 new primary jobs for Nevada’s capital region.
Born: January 3, 1956 in San Jose, CA
- Campbell High School, Campbell, CA, 1974
- AA, McHenry County College, Crystal Lake, IL, 1976
- BS, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL, 1978
- Graduate, School of Bank Marketing Management
- University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, 1983
- University of Georgia, Athens, GA, 1985
- Founder and Executive Director, Nevada Business Connections (NBC), Carson City, NV, 2008 – Present (nvbizconnect.com)
- Commercial Real Estate Agent, Grubb-Ellis and Coldwell Banker, Reno, NV, 2002 – 2008
- Executive Director, Northern Nevada Development Authority (NNDA), Carson City, NV, 1988 – 2002
- Senior Marketing Analyst, First Interstate Bank of Nevada, Reno, NV, 1986 – 1988
- Assistant Vice-President, Director of Marketing Services, American National Bank, Bakersfield, CA, 1984 – 1986
- Marketing Director, Mid-State Bank, Arroyo Grande, CA, 1981 – 1984
- Account Executive, KZOZ/KKAL Radio, San Luis Obispo, CA, 1979 – 1981
- Account Executive, Smith Advertising, Capitola, CA, 1978 – 1979
- Positions in college and high school: cement laborer, photo-lab technician, radio announcer, sales clerk and wedding photographer
- Advisory Board, Nevada State Small Business Development Center, UNR, 1993 – Present
- Board of Trustees, Western Nevada College Foundation
- Member Chambers of Commerce: Carson City, Carson Valley, Dayton, Silver Springs, Sparks, and Virginia City
- Past Member, Advisory Board, Irwin Union Bank
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Nevada Works
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Health Smart
- Past President, Nevada Economic Development Association
- Former Member, Advisory Board, Comstock Magazine
- Former Board Member, Rotary Club, Bakersfield, CA
- Former Board Member, Exchange Club, Arroyo Grande, CA
- Former Board Member, Jaycees, Santa Cruz, CA
- Leading 62 business recruitment missions to California, Arizona, Oregon, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Minnesota, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin.
- Resulting in a partial business recruitment / expansion results list:
- Starbucks Coffee Roasting Facility
- Harley Davidson Financial Services
- Chromalloy Nevada
- Alcoa Aluminum
- T&D Machine Products
- EZE-Lap / Diamond Products
- Duro Manufacturing
- Procision Machine
- Aloha Medicinals
- Comnet Marketing Group
- Synvasive Technology
- CBS – Dichroic Glass
- Vitamin Research Products
- Triangle Labs
- Fox Racing
- Custom Stamping
- ID Corporation
- H&G Industries
- Advanced Machining
- Ultimately creating over 5,000 new primary jobs and the majority of new manufacturing firms and investment for the capital region.
- NNDA accomplishments included growing membership (public – private) from 110 to over 300. Increased budget from $78k to $310k. Reported to a 20-member board of directors, the Nevada State Commission on Economic Development, and the 4 county governments (Carson, Douglas, Lyon and Storey).
- Expansion Management Magazine Economic Developer of the Year 1994.
THE 2017 ADVISORY BOARD
Emily Andrews, Utility Telecom
Kelly Bullis, Bullis & Co., CPAs
Samuel Douglass, John Uhart Commercial Real Estate
Paul Enos, Nevada Trucking Association
Bill Fergus, Petroleum Card Services
John-Michael Gray, Triangle Labs, Inc.
Dan Kahl, Kahl Commercial Interiors
Jeffrey Lowden, Sky West Real Estate Services
Ed Morehouse, ACGM, LLC
Jim Neil, Bank of the West
Carol Nicholson, Hilton Garden Inn
Maxine Nietz, Capital City Computing
Girish Pandit, Valley Joist
Dick Silvera, Silvera Commercial Real Estate
David Toll, Gold Hill Publishing (Emeritus)
Mark Tulman, Nevada Association of Employers
Brian Wallace, Wells Fargo SBA Lending
Terry Yeager, Carson Properties, Inc.
Kris Holt, Nevada Business Connections
MEET NBC’s BOARD MEMBERS
Meet Board Member Emily Andrews
For an outdoor sport competitor and nature-lover, Emily Andrews spends a lot of time worrying about the how business works indoors. The award winning Alpine ski racer is changing the game of business telecommunication sales in Reno as the newest Account Executive at Utility Telecom. Utility Telecom, the premier integrated provider of business telecommunications in California and northern Nevada, has been providing voice and data services to thousands of satisfied customers for 15 years.
“I am competitive by nature,” says Andrews. “Whether on the slopes or working to get someone’s business, I make sure I am the best out there. That means I have to believe in the products I sell, and I do. I’ve found my ‘calling’ selling telecommunications. Its satisfying watching my customers save money and use technology that improves their businesses.”
Recognized as one of the best saleswomen in northern Nevada, Ms. Andrews sold her own company, Affirmed Medical, to Cintas, and was a President’s Club level sales person in her previous telecom sales role. Emily is a well-integrated member of the Reno business community; she is a member of BNI (Business Network International), The Chamber of Commerce, NCET (Nevada Center for Entrepreneurship and Technology) and on the Advisory Board of the Nevada Business Connections.
“We sought Emily out because she understands being a Reno business owner,” said Mario Gutierrez, Utility Telephone’s Regional Sales Manager. “She intuitively appreciates what she is selling and the powerful solution it can provide to most local business owners. We are proud she is representing Utility Telephone in all her community engagements.”
To speak to Emily about your business telephone or internet needs, please call 775.737.7065 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or introduce yourself at one of the many local functions she attends.
Educated in Forestry Science and Recreation Management at Feather River College in Quincy, CA, Emily moved to Reno in 1987. Aside from being a business leader, she is a well decorated Alpine skier, regular on the Mt Rose Ski Resort slopes, and cycles.
Interview with Dick Silvera
- What do you like most about northern Nevada?
I would say the weather as we definitely have 4 seasons and also the quality of life that the area affords. It would be hard to beat the Carson Valley.
- What are you most proud of at your business?
Being a Commercial Real Estate Broker for the past 35 years and the many companies that I have been able to help over that period of time. Many clients of which have become personal friends over many years.
- What are the products/services you offer?
My company specializes in the Sale/Leasing of all types of Commercial Properties as well as Commercial Land. I offer a complete service from start to finish including permitting, construction, incentives, working with County or State Official’s on client behalf, etc.
- Why did you join the NBC?
I was one of the founding members of the group that approached Kris with the idea of starting this group because NNDA had basically imploded. At the time, they were in a state of turmoil and something had to be done concerning the Capitol Region.
- Who is your favorite Nevadan and why?
Bill Harrah is my favorite Nevadan because he was heavily involved with the Horseless Carriage Club of America with his wonderful collection of early automobiles. I was very fortunate to known him personally and was on many tours with him and Sherry.
- Why is Nevada a great place to do business?
Number 1 is the very favorable tax structure. Lease rates also come into play especially since the recession has cut rates almost in half. A typical industrial property now rents for $0.30-$0.35 NNN per square foot in the Carson Valley.
- Any interesting hobbies?
I have been in the Antique Car hobby since 1950. I restored a 1910 Buick in 1965 and have driven it for 45 years on Tours all over the United States. I am also a “Picker” of early gas and oil porcelain signs and memorabilia which I buy, sell and trade.
- Most interesting place you’ve traveled to?
My most interesting places of travel have been in my Motorhome all over the United States. There are many amazing places to go and see in this beautiful country of ours. Some of the best places we saw after getting lost!